Flight Of The Willfully Indifferent

Ferrel writes about what he sees as a growing trend of "willfully ignorant" players, who "don’t care enough to read, listen, or prepare for anything", but "always want in on groups and raids" despite this lack of preparation.  In his view, players who don't accept responsibility for preparing to contribute to groups should go back to soloing. 

I don't know that I quite reach the bar for "willfully ignorant".  In most MMO's I don't group at all, or only group if specifically asked by a guildie looking to avoid having to bring a PUG member.  I'm not afraid to say when I haven't run a zone before (which is often), and I do my best to listen to instructions if they are forthcoming.  In general, if the content requires more commitment than that, I probably don't care enough to do it.  Perhaps that makes me "willfully indifferent", and I have no problem heeding Ferrel's advice and going back to soloing. 

The catch is that developers are watching.  Case in point, the very next post on Ferrel's blog talks about how Trion changed Rift dungeon rewards from a model with highly challenging, highly rewarding dungons to less challenging, less rewarding dungeons that are more accessible to the willfully indifferent (and/or ignorant).  The same trend is going on in World of Warcraft right now, after the difficulty of the initial content in the latest expansion was higher than the willfully indifferent would tolerate.  In non-subscription games like DDO, Turbine can literally see by the numbers who is willing to pay for more solo content and unwilling to pay for more raids. 

If the majority of the market truly is making an intentional choice for the path of indifference and away from challenge, the motivated minority may need a better PR strategy than "go back to soloing".